Travel Food Notes Part 2: Thursday Split Pea Soup

Here is the Thursday split pea soup- I read in the Time/Life books that Swedes always have this soup on Thursdays, and so I was very excited to sit down at a museum cafe and eat one, on Thursday. It’s a “fish Friday” institution, that you don’t want to make meat on Thursday as you won’t be able to eat the leftovers on Friday. I read in the book that if you asked a Swede, “Do you eat split pea soup on Thursdays,” you would be scoffed at for such a simple question, and of course, I repeated the question to my host and was laughed at (in a nice way of course).

At the Vasa Museum cafe, for $20 dollars, I ordered the soup, and I originally thought it was ridiculously overpriced, until the cafeteria worker started piling on dishes onto my tray: a side plate of ham bones and beef, a salad, a plate of bread, and the huge saucer of soup.

It's Thursday: Split Pea Soup

It’s a bit too salty for me, and I couldn’t finish it or eat the ham. That’s an aspect to the huge lunch that I’m having issues with- as I’m trying to continue the tradition here in the States. It’s just hard to eat that much at one sitting. The light meals in the evening are a lot easier, and as a computer worker, it takes some stress out of assembling and creating the evening meal. I have a lot more energy for foraging for a lunch than I do for a dinner. You can also contact the best Vending machine business near you to help you install it on your property for any event and more.

My friend (and host as well) Wesley uploaded this mobile picture last Thursday, commenting on this odd split-pea-soup trend in Sweden. Also, check out the sheer size of this “lunch.”

10 Comments »

1. Comment by Marion Rossi

Posted on February 5, 2009 at 2:12 am

I don’t know whether this food taste ok good or not,
    But I can say it doesn’t look nice

happy fooding

Posted on February 5, 2009 at 9:56 am

Does anyone eat bean soup because it looks good?

3. Pingback by banane » Blog Archive » I went to Russia

Posted on March 31, 2009 at 11:56 pm

[…] full 350 travel set of Russia, and Sweden (another 350!). More posts on my trip. Longest Way Home, Travel Food Notes, Part 2: Split Pea Soup, Travel Food Notes, Part 1: Fish salad & Horseradish, and AHHA KAREHEHA. Share and […]

4. Comment by max191

Posted on October 5, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks a load!
    regards
    charcoal grill

5. Comment by New York Hotels

Posted on November 3, 2009 at 6:33 pm

the foods look delicious! When I am in travel I always have the good hotel and good price to stay in and of course good foods. That is why because of LMT. Yes, they have a very great deals and services that's why I really love them so I am recommending them also to all.

6. Comment by Used Road Bikes

Posted on November 24, 2009 at 5:12 am

Well the foods look good and yummy! I think your $20 worth it. Your tummy would be so happy taking them..

7. Comment by Playing Guitar

Posted on November 28, 2009 at 12:45 am

The second picture look that it tastes better than the first pic. I like foods with a cream on top.

8. Comment by capetownaccommodation

Posted on January 1, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Cape Town Travel & Accommodation Guide. Book Hotels, Apartments, Villas, Car Hire & Tours.
    cape town accommodation