Travel Food Notes Part 2: Thursday Split Pea Soup

Here is the Thursday split pea soup- I read in the Time/Life books that Swedes always have this soup on Thursdays, and so I was very excited to sit down at a museum cafe and eat one, on Thursday. It’s a “fish Friday” institution, that you don’t want to make meat on Thursday as you won’t be able to eat the leftovers on Friday. I read in the book that if you asked a Swede, “Do you eat split pea soup on Thursdays,” you would be scoffed at for such a simple question, and of course, I repeated the question to my host and was laughed at (in a nice way of course).

At the Vasa Museum cafe, for $20 dollars, I ordered the soup, and I originally thought it was ridiculously overpriced, until the cafeteria worker started piling on dishes onto my tray: a side plate of ham bones and beef, a salad, a plate of bread, and the huge saucer of soup.

It's Thursday: Split Pea Soup

It’s a bit too salty for me, and I couldn’t finish it or eat the ham. That’s an aspect to the huge lunch that I’m having issues with- as I’m trying to continue the tradition here in the States. It’s just hard to eat that much at one sitting. The light meals in the evening are a lot easier, and as a computer worker, it takes some stress out of assembling and creating the evening meal. I have a lot more energy for foraging for a lunch than I do for a dinner.

My friend (and host as well) Wesley uploaded this mobile picture last Thursday, commenting on this odd split-pea-soup trend in Sweden. Also, check out the sheer size of this “lunch.”

10 Comments »

1. Comment by Marion Rossi

Posted on February 5, 2009 at 2:12 am

I don’t know whether this food taste ok good or not,
    But I can say it doesn’t look nice

happy fooding

Posted on February 5, 2009 at 9:56 am

Does anyone eat bean soup because it looks good?

3. Pingback by banane » Blog Archive » I went to Russia

Posted on March 31, 2009 at 11:56 pm

[…] full 350 travel set of Russia, and Sweden (another 350!). More posts on my trip. Longest Way Home, Travel Food Notes, Part 2: Split Pea Soup, Travel Food Notes, Part 1: Fish salad & Horseradish, and AHHA KAREHEHA. Share and […]

4. Comment by max191

Posted on October 5, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks a load!
    regards
    charcoal grill

5. Comment by New York Hotels

Posted on November 3, 2009 at 6:33 pm

the foods look delicious! When I am in travel I always have the good hotel and good price to stay in and of course good foods. That is why because of LMT. Yes, they have a very great deals and services that's why I really love them so I am recommending them also to all.

6. Comment by Used Road Bikes

Posted on November 24, 2009 at 5:12 am

Well the foods look good and yummy! I think your $20 worth it. Your tummy would be so happy taking them..

7. Comment by Playing Guitar

Posted on November 28, 2009 at 12:45 am

The second picture look that it tastes better than the first pic. I like foods with a cream on top.

8. Comment by capetownaccommodation

Posted on January 1, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Cape Town Travel & Accommodation Guide. Book Hotels, Apartments, Villas, Car Hire & Tours.
    cape town accommodation