There Are No Women On StackOverflow… Or Are There?

For a long time, years in fact, I used the site as a reference. You have an error message, and you can search for it, and find a lovely discussion of fixes, problems, etc. I had joined a year ago, but got some grief and didn’t login in again for a year.I’d run into a very difficult bug and posted it (Facebook deep linking on Android emulator). A guy answered in 4 minutes and helped me troubleshoot- there was no clear answer, but I was grateful for a sane head and new set of eyes. Full of good karma, I decided to give back. I made some classic newbie missteps before I got my footing. Of course, I ran into some douchebag opinionated guys, (“you don’t know what you’re talking about.”) but still pushed through, until there I was, up late one night, in a chat session with some high school student writing their first iPhone app. It was karma, and also wanting the +10 associated with being the correct answer.

As I got into the various features, I started exploring the user profiles. That’s when I realized that I’d only come across one visible woman’s profile, among the hundreds, or thousands of profiles I’d seen up until then. I posted an innocent question to a women’s engineering list:

Lately most of my annoying-male-behavior stuff comes from StackOverflow, which led me to think, are my lady programmers on there?

I’m enjoying the “roulette” style questions, going to “unanswered” and seeing if I know anything. And also trying to give back as it’s saved me a few times in the last week.

Anyway, I’m me on there, if you’re on there it’d be nice to know your username.

I was hoping to see maybe one or two – or to just see if they got nasty responses to their questions like I did. What happened is an 11-day discussion, 57 emails, from women about how largely they disliked the site, lurked, or joined and left.

So there’s good news, there are women on StackOverflow. The visible ones are far below the representative % of women in the industry.* So you can safely determine that it’s an unfriendly-to-women place. Many “men” are women. Some women have two profiles, one that they use to ask what they consider dumb questions, one where they answer questions.

Here’s a list of comments from our 57-thread discussion about why women aren’t on StackOverflow:
– The blatant one-upmanship of the site turns them off
– There’s nothing they can contribute (seriously, many women feel that way)
– They don’t want the grief of getting downvoted (because they are a woman) * (more on this later)
– Like me, just didn’t consider contributing
– They use neuter or male profiles
– One or two women were early users and got turned off by the online behavior of the sexism and discrimination they endure in real life.

We are now discussing creating a hosted, private question and answer site similar to SO. I honestly don’t think that’s a good idea for improving the visibility of women in tech. As one mailing list programmer wrote to me, “It’s a battle some of us just don’t want to fight.”

My Short History on Stack Overflow
Milestone #1: My first post- an answer (kinda ballsy!) Notice: no upvotes. Still, proud of it, and the content was solid.

Milestone #2: My first accepted answer! On the site, the question author selects the correct answer. I was chosen of 3!

Milestone #3: Answering (and being selected as the answer) in a language you don’t consider yourself all that great at. Oh, and people are grateful?!?!

Tips To Having Fun On StackOverflow
I largely use SO as a place to gain confidence, and a good prep for interviews. I also use it to procrastinate. I am a geek, so I like to browse it much like a bookstore, looking up issues or languages that have crossed my path recently. Mainly, of course, I use it to find answers to questions.

If you want to participate in the community, and not lurk, there are some tips to having fun:
– Post code. Your answers will be up-voted, and selected, if you do the effort of actually writing a sample few lines of code, or finding old code and popping it in. Most developers don’t read non-code formatted text, it’s true.
– Be polite, but don’t grovel, apologize, use disclaimers, or caveats. Simple, and direct.
– Don’t chat – use the chat tool if it gets to be a back-and-forth discussion.
– Comments are comments, answers are answers. That was my newbie problem, getting them mixed up; putting comments in the Answers box and vice-versa.
– Use tags – in searching, in finding questions to answer, in writing your question. It makes site more usable and faster. It took me a few days to find the use for it, and it is very useful.
– Don’t rise to the bait, avoid attention-seekers, etc. There are douches here, just avoid them. Let the moderators do the policing.

* Check out this Fiery discussion on “meta” StackOverflow regarding just this issue of women lurking, but not joining, StackOverflow, has quite a few references to QuantCast, a demographic analysis engine. One comment (that I didn’t verify its veracity) says 26% of degrees in CS are awarded to women. The QuantCast statistic reported in the thread is that 20% of those viewing the site are women (how it can determine this, I don’t know), with the author experientially saying “no women were in the active/leader board” for StackOverflow.

* Downvoting without reason: this is a pernicious behavior on StackOverflow that occurs to men, as well. Basically site users with a certain site-age can up or down vote answers, comments, questions, etc. The etiquette is to add a reason, if you downvote. Women perceive, that it happens more to them than men. We can only really verify it with the site statistics, or perhaps a sociological experiment of some kind? I’ve experienced downvoting, but it’s hard for me to tell if it’s from my age-level on the site (I think that has a serious impact) or my gender. Or, of course, it’s a bad answer (never!).

1. Comment by Pam Selle

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I think visibility is the big thing for me … I can tell explicitly when I've been okay and not using /pamselle vs /pselle (ex. hackernews, reddit get the neuter treatment, because I don't want downvotes bc of gender. when I make new profiles, I usually use my name now). Just joined SO… with OMG A REAL PICTURE.

Haven't tried answering anything yet (things are so specific!) but I like your advice on getting involved.

2. Comment by Melanie Archer

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I can't get through a work day without a trip to SO. One thing I really like is that the comments can nudge a question into better form: the value of advice from SO users is that it's so *specific*.

I haven't been flamed or downvoted yet. I think I'll tolerate these interactions much better than the creepy feature on Quora that lets other users edit your answer–honestly, who thought that one up?!

3. Comment by Michael Mrozek

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Well, about that last part:

4. Comment by Ben Brocka

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I almost hate to tell you, but Stack Overflow does that too; when a post is edited there's a note to that effect, and you can see who edited and what they changed. It's necessary to keep posts accurate and ensure a high level of quality.

It's one of their features that leans more toward Wiki than forum; I personally really like that they emphasize quality and correctness like that. It's sure saved me several times!

5. Comment by ExitTwo

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I've been turning this around in my head a little bit. Not so sure that even your sample of 50 is saying anything. All but one of those reasons apply to men too (I'm pretty sure that if I ask the question slightly differently, I can get the same responses). So you might have just hit a bunch of “normal” programmers. I'm pretty sure most stackoverflow users actually contribute very little.

The top 20 figures might be telling, but when all we have is quantcast figures to go on…

6. Comment by Ben Brocka

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 9:04 pm

RE the Quantcast bit: you can see their demographics via this link:… which claims 24% female on SO. Take that with a grain of salt because I have *no* idea where they get their numbers.

7. Comment by brian ball

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Great post. At least here in SF, I'm becoming much more aware of the valuable contribution women are making in the tech scene. I only seeing it improve.

8. Comment by Justin Dearing

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Some thoughts on stackoverflow from the male perspective.

As far as gender specific discrimination, that probably exists unfortunately. I don't know what to do other then being mindful of it myself and when I have kids being mindful of it. Be the change you want to see in the world and all that.

Now that I think about it, the concept of stackoverflow is very male. Answers do glorious battle in the battlefield of public opinion with a single arbitrator who proposed the challenge judging the results and picking a winner. As a male nerd I don't care if I lose more then I win. I was the kid that got picked last in gym and recess every time, except for 8th grade when I always got picked second to last because “you got picked after Justin” became a new punishment.

However, you don't seem to be complain about that. You seem to be  complaining about ad-hominem (or specifically ad feminam) attacks.

A question remains though.  In an ideal world where no one systematically down-voted people of either gender, and it was truly a “battlefied for the glorious battle of potential answers to a problem” and there were no ad-hominem attacks, would women enjoy the format? Would a female ever take the crown from Jon Skeet?

I honestly see stackexchange as one of the most perfect Q&A formatted organically growing knowledgebases ever. I've overlooked the interpersonal problems it has, because it attempts to be a somewhat impersonal medium. Is that a very male perspective.

9. Comment by phwd

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I'll bite

> The blatant one-upmanship of the site turns them offYou are kidding right? You want a site that made gamification work not to have one-upmanship? :S Cream of the crop? Best of the best? One-upmanship occurs in my hot yoga class, don't see me complaining when I fall down from my tree pose when all the people around me are excelling against each other (even though the instructor says it's not a race)> There’s nothing they can contribute (seriously, many women feel that way)Beta attitude (More later on)> They don’t want the grief of getting downvoted (because they are a woman) * (more on this later)Beta attitude> Like me, just didn’t consider contributingYou know this one of the items I hate the most. Users who come ask what they want and leave. Overall, the community has taken upon itself to allow this to continue and create answers for future users. Scratch my back, I scratch yours. It's a community help each other not a one way channel. So give back- They use neuter or male profilesBeta- One or two women were early users and got turned off by the online behavior of the sexism and discrimination they endure in real life.????? [citations]Have they ever seen an IRC chatroom, old discussion boards? Come on.> So you can safely determine that it’s an unfriendly-to-women place.??????????? [citations]Really… show me how you came to illogical conclusionBeta—–Stop being beta, that mind set is why you are having so much trouble. Women can be beta too. Once you get out the illusion that there is even beta to begin with and it's all in your mind then you can start answering questions and be awesome. If you want equality and all that jazz, first step is to speak up and not behind closed doors in discussion groups; towards the target of your problem. is there, make yourself be heard.There is nothing worse than someone who holds on to the mindset that they are beta yet blames others for all the problems created in this reality tunnel.Just under an hour ago I asked a question about Stack Exchange API because I felt like a doofus for not understanding a basic HTTP response via curl. Wouldn't you know it that none under than this person… clarified what was going on. And you know what? I didn't give two birds of the user's gender. If you know your shit, speak up.Stop being beta. Sexism around, yes so get up, stand against it and show the world how awesome you are.Make no mistake I have no bias against women. I have a problem with a beta mind set, and this is what I see here.If you believe there is still a problem on Stack Overflow, please make your voice heard on instead of behind lurking profiles many people would appreciate that.

10. Comment by Alan Klement

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 10:17 pm

When I use stackoverflow, the only thing(s) I care about is if the people are nice, knowledgable and positive.

I don't care about anyone's gender.

11. Comment by Mark Ransom

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Although it's possible to edit a StackOverflow answer, in practice it doesn't happen very often. The design offers a real sense of ownership to the answers, and the comment system gives you a chance to point out problems with an answer without taking it upon yourself to “fix” it.

12. Comment by lelandrichardson

Posted on June 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I think this is an important post, and highlights some of the issues out there…  but I'm not sure all of them are 100% grounded.

I find the statistics for women visiting SO pretty interesting (and am similarly skeptical as to HOW they are getting that information?) but one thing you point out is these are primarily just visitors… If you look at those who create questions and answers, it certainly feels like the numbers are much lower.  (speaking entirely out of experience and not on any sort of concrete analysis).

I think there are a lot of people who get turned off by SO when they first start to contribute.  There are many people on the site who are absolutely as nice as can be and they will push you in the right direction, but there are others who just downvote or “bash” you because you have <100 points.  This sucks – but I don't know how much of it is gender-related.

I have seen dramatic improvements in the prominence women have had in the programmer scene lately and i hope that it continues on that slope.

Posted on June 22, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Hi phwd- note these are comments by women in the list, not mine. I'm obviously visible and posting problems, and writing answers. Good point, I think the “closed doors” is not good for minorities in general. It's “safe”, sure, but doens't help you battle these obstacles that exist in the real world..

Posted on June 22, 2012 at 5:06 pm

It's nice to know that you consciously try not to consider bias in your up and down voting, and many say that saying you are not biased is 50% the way there. There is, though, unconscious bias. Check out this Harvard test to see if you have bias:

Posted on June 22, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I personally like the format- I'm quoting folks who don't like it. I'm not sure, if that's gender-based, or just the usual “50% people don't like competitive arenas.” I'm a sucker for gamification. What I don't like is being treated different due to my gender. My latest grief is “smiley faces,” which I dislike because of the often quoted “women are more emotional” bullshit. I seriously get more emoticons than other posters (who are male). It's well meant, sure, but condescending. My earth will not shatter if you disagree with me.

Posted on June 22, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Thanks Brian- Hopefully it will!

Posted on June 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Yeah, I didn't look into the Quantcast findings, and wonder how they know our gender from posting. I have seen growth lately, but over the 20 or so years in this industry, it's remained alarmingly consistently bad.

Posted on June 22, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Yeah, there's another piece to the puzzle I just found out yesterday.  A friend has 2 profiles, male and female, and the differences are alarming. I'd love it (this was suggested on the HN thread) if more guys posted as women, and shared their experiences.

Posted on June 22, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Thanks Melanie. I really like the editing, because so many times the questions are asked poorly, and the small bit of editing I've had has been great. Not sure if Quora still allows, but SO only gives editing to more experienced-app users. The Quora thing rubbed me the wrong way, but SO editing didn't. Maybe because it's more binary/cut and dry material?

Posted on June 22, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Yay! I also am all about the visibility. As I've learned from helping kids/young women and others in the field, you don't really know you're a role model… until you are one. And I think I would have found my love of making apps & games earlier if I'd had more, of course. Instead, it was everyone's boring dad doing computers (sorry friend's dad's growing up, but you understand). At a high school girl's programming camp the other day, one of them was like “are you a partier?” with this kind of shocked and amazed expressino… I had just finished the Black Eyed Peas FB app. And when I acknowledged, that yes, I did enjoy going out, etc. I seriously got this whole little posse around me. So just saying, while lurking may help you personally, there is a bit of karma give back out there.

21. Comment by romnempire

Posted on June 23, 2012 at 2:48 am

Stack overflow is full of competent, aggressive, competitive users.  A lot of the problems with stack exchange brought up in the post aren't issues of sexism, they're issues of passivity.  I think there might be a lot of people on most sites/professions that are male dominated that think in the following way:  if you screw up, it's because you're another one of those bad female programmers who are in way over their head… but if you answer correctly or if you add to the discussion, they aren't going to think less of it because you're a woman.  It's an attribution of reasons of failure, rather than cause.  It's definitely an issue to worry about, but it isn't necessarily an issue that holds you back.
    I think the solution is for one to think of themselves as programmer first, than a woman.  Then, one has their solution.  The problem isn't you, it's your knowledge… and knowledge is something that can be acquired, by taking steps, faltering, but persisting through embarrassments and failures.  Stack Overflow is a tough community for _anyone_ who is still learning to really feel a part of, if you haven't 'jumped in the pool'.  Personally, I still don't feel like I really fit in completely.

And… i think if you think the issue is a profiling issue and quit, you make the problem worse.  I mean, what you end up with is a bunch of women who make dumb posts (because they're new) and quit, which makes most all the posts one sees by women dumb, in turn enhancing any entrenched stereotype by others about women on stack exchange.

In some sense, I think this attribution of profiling is part of a bigger problem with 'women in engineering' and 'minorities in this or that' groups:  they, too, tend to prioritise images of race/gender/whatsit above pure competence.  You become a woman engineer rather than an engineer who is female.  While the intention is to quash bias based on these groups, against their intentions, simply by their existence they enhance the idea that their groups are actually a metric that can somehow affect competence.

22. Comment by romnempire

Posted on June 23, 2012 at 2:59 am

I agree with the gist of your message, but beta is a term used by pickup artists and such
    (reminds me of my stint lurking 4chan), and sticks out when talking about issues on gender.  I get your meaning, but be aware when you're offering sound advice – I've seen people get offended by it and not listen.  Describe it a different way and you might seem more persuasive and sophisticated.

23. Comment by phwd

Posted on June 23, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Beta as in not the alpha one in a group (… I don't see how this relates to pickup artists and 4chan . This is the first time I heard it used in that way. Why would it be used to describe 4chan and pickup artists?

This seems to be your personal experience and as such certain words will definitely be interpreted in whatever way you see it. i.e. it sounds like this will stick out only if you use yourself use the terminology a lot.

I find a lot of users from places like 4chan, reddit, hn take it upon themselves to defend some imaginary ego in the form of complex words and trivial arguments disguised as intellectual debates. What's the point?

The gist was caught, I don't need to have sophisticated language to say what I want to say. The lurkers can either take what I have to say or leave it. Sometimes, you don't need to put all icing on the cake, just give it raw, no moderation, no sophistication.

By the way, are you a pickup artist?

24. Comment by romnempire

Posted on June 24, 2012 at 1:30 am

It's a term pickup artists and 4chan use a lot.

I know the origin, but think of it more like the swastika. Once it gets picked up by misogynists, it gets a bad rap, even if the term isn't bad, and that bad rap rubs off on you.

It's less I'm inviting you to join the circlejerk, and more I'm warning you off from looking bad. …But as to the purpose of the circlejerk, sometimes I think it's the biggest, oldest, most complex and most foolish 'game' – in the sense that SO is compsci gamified. …when that ego be trippin, i guess it feels like a really good trip. Sorta like a modern day, IRL confederacy of dunces.

And no, but I read a few books about it. …they're actually interesting – really make you think about how fragile human interaction actually is.

25. Comment by Pekka Gaiser

Posted on June 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Hey, that's an interesting idea. I think I'll give that one a spin and report back.

26. Pingback by banane » Blog Archive » The Imposter Syndrome and Knowing Things

Posted on July 3, 2012 at 2:26 pm

[…] wonder if this is the key element to why the percentage of women on StackOverflow is so […]

27. Pingback by Is it a Linkspam, or is it a Cylon? (6th, July 2012) | Geek Feminism Blog

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm

[…] There Are No Women On StackOverflow – Or Are There? ”So there’s good news, there are women on StackOverflow. The visible ones are far below the representative % of women in the industry. So you can safely determine that it’s an unfriendly-to-women place.” […]

28. Comment by funda k-s

Posted on July 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm

There was a great panel particularly on this issue at CSCW 2012 (ACM conference on computer-supported cooperative work).

Very interesting and timely post. I enjoyed reading it.

29. Comment by Angela Tosca

Posted on July 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for this – I had stayed off SO for the reason mentioned above but I think I might take this advice and start contributing.  Very useful & helpful post!

30. Comment by Lukas Blakk

Posted on July 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Wow, thanks for writing this.  I always shied away from contributing to SO even though I often find answers to my questions on it and would love to give that same favour back to others.  Your article has given me great tips and I will try now to use them and see if I can build up some confidence on SO.

31. Comment by maco

Posted on July 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I don't see how:
    “????? [citations] Have they ever seen an IRC chatroom, old discussion boards? Come on.”

is in *any* way a constructive answer. Well other places are sexist! Oh great, and that makes this ok then does it? No, it does not.

32. Comment by maco

Posted on July 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I'm now wondering if I''ve ever really participated in SO itself. Ask Ubuntu (the Ubuntu-specific StackExchange site) and ServerFault, sure, but I'm not sure about SO. I've definitely found useful things there, but I rarely come across questions that are still unanswered that I know the answer to.

33. Comment by Chris Waigl

Posted on July 10, 2012 at 7:08 am

I'm on Stackoverflow with a non-negligible reputation rank and pretty obviously female (…, but then I tend to stick to small, circumscribed topics, have Python and i18n (both with very *nice* communities) as my topics of predilection and tend to stick to the point.

34. Comment by Yoon Park

Posted on July 13, 2012 at 6:58 am

What an eye-opener! Thanks for sharing.

35. Comment by Kat Chilton

Posted on September 30, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Typical male answer. “Sexism exists. Get over it.” You will never know what it is like to live in a society that socializes you to be a beta, and then tells you to buck up. Women are not often rewarded for being strong. If they are strong, they inevitably will see some sort of backlash for being unfeminine.

36. Comment by Kat Chilton

Posted on September 30, 2012 at 11:10 pm

My friend sent me this link because my slowly surmounting fury for SO
    just boiled over today. My grief has nothing to do with gender issues,
    though your findings don't surprise me at all.

My ultimate reasoning for leaving is the same thing everyone else complains about. The machine caters to the diehard losers–*AHEM* users, who spend all their time doing menial tasks to secure points, and then lording their power over casual users who make newbie mistakes and/or may have a different outlook. Ultimately, computer science, esp where it applies to web/app development is more an art than people realize. There are a lot of cool ways to do things.

I was punished for asking questions that people thought were stupid. (The only stupid question is that which is not asked.) I was punished for asking theoretical questions, because they generated too much discussion. Two questions got so many downvotes that I deleted them. Then today a similar scenario led to me getting banned when I deleted a question and tried to reword and repost in order to appease the content nazis. Getting banned was the final insult, so I filled out their form and told them to delete my account. I don't need that kind of crap. I'm just a budding web developer who could use some feedback!

37. Comment by Kat Chilton

Posted on September 30, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I think there is more than just the format that should be blamed for the “groupthink contagion.” Everyone on there thinks they know of a better solution. They frequently ignore the parameters of your question and try to talk you into doing things differently. At the same time they dislike caveats. So you are unable to say, I know popular opinion says that I should _blank_, but for these reasons I need to do it this way. Therefore, can someone help me figure this out.

The users on SO also cannot deal with an implied question. If your sentence doesn't start with the letter W, then you will get dinged for that, too.

The bottom line is that many of the SO users are rude and condescending. It is sad too, because so many of them can be truly helpful and their solutions can really help. It just wasn't worth it for me.

38. Comment by Kat Chilton

Posted on September 30, 2012 at 11:29 pm

The visibility of women on SO is NOT that important in terms of the greater programming community. Quitting SO because it sucks only contributes to SO's problem of member retention.

39. Comment by phwd

Posted on October 2, 2012 at 3:12 am

1. I NEVER said get over it, I said stand AGAINST it

2. Glad you took the effort to generalize males on a sexism post, quite the irony
    3. Stop bending backwards to society, if you want to let society socialize you to their liking that's your fault plain and simple, no matter your gender. Be true to yourself otherwise you aren't living your life. In the end it's your choice to make.

Posted on October 2, 2012 at 4:17 am

“Glad you took the effort to generalize males on a sexism post, quite the irony” Reversal doesn't work. One party has privilege.

41. Comment by phwd

Posted on October 2, 2012 at 4:24 am

What does that mean? So one party can say what they want but the other cannot? On any sexism post, a man cannot defend outlandish statements because it's not his privilege and there is no equality across gender? That's not messed up in the slightest :S

Posted on October 2, 2012 at 4:57 am

Is it nice? No. Is it funny to me (that she said it) yes. But not because of its irony, but because of its truth.

43. Comment by Hermione Green

Posted on March 18, 2013 at 12:50 am

I am a female human being and I am on StackOverflow; I do not think those 2 things are related in any way and I discourage phrasing the discussion in terms of why women do this or think that. Women (and Men) don't think. People think, in that we use our brains and not our sexual attributes or role in reproduction to think. It is a known fact that the tech community has a big sexism problem. Let's not encourage them through bad semantics. Some people are strong enough to break the mold, and others are not and will not be part of the social change of my generation. If you encounter someone openly sexist on SO or anywhere they should be ashamed of their ignorance and lack in critical thinking, not you. That said, if someone gets bullied is not their fault but how they react to it is their responsibility (run away? take the lead and change the world?). If you are a more advanced thinker (as are people that understand intelligence is not bound by sex,gender or skin color), it is your responsibility to create an environment that will make others smarter too.

p.s. I love contributing on SO (for what I can). Everybody has feelings of inadequacy , especially on StackExchange, because it can be a very judgmental community. Get over them :-)

44. Comment by Beckah

Posted on July 1, 2014 at 7:38 pm

although there is a wealth of knowledgable people on stackoverflow, the culture is absolutely horrid for new programmers especially. as a female or a new comer, it is certainly a put-off. over the last year, I've learned to just get over it.

45. Comment by Beckah

Posted on July 1, 2014 at 7:39 pm

But I don't think it is the way of going about it all all. for example Linux is full of extremely helpful and positive people, they do this because they want to attract new users and help them overcome the “fear” or an unknown territory. Stackoverflow is almost the opposite.