It’s been my unofficial goal to be absent every weekend this summer. So, for Labor Day, I’m driving to San Diego for a week. My preparations:
- Drop car off at mechanic. It’s like asking for bad news. He calls, $1200 work done on car. I check, and it’s all kosher. Shit.
- Buy new music for drive! Nouvelle Vague
- Resign myself to the death of houseplants.
- Doing copious research on my destination- mother’s nostalgia (she grew up there), researching quick trips to Mexico (which resulted in severe intimidation at the travel issues involved) looking forward to outtings in La Jolla (swimming! kayaking! hiking!)
- Realizing I will be helping potty-train youngest nephew.